So everyone has their own version of adobo (I personally love my lola’s soupy adobo with pork tongue, chicken, and liver). I’ve tried doing the Cendrillon version, but for some reason the adobo comes out horribly sour.
This is my latest and greatest, which came out pretty good. J didn’t squish his face and say Omigod! this time (that’s what he did with my 2 Cendrillon recipe attempts).
- 4 cuts chicken thigh and leg, trim excess fat and skin
- 1 or 2 chicken livers
- 1 or 2 chicken gizzards
- 4 eggs
- 1 c cane vinegar (Datu Puti)
- 2/3 c soy sauce (Silver Swan or Coconut)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp peppercorns, approx. (crush about 1/3 of the peppercorns)
- 1/2 tsp salt, appox.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and crushed
- Mix vinegar, soy sauce, honey, peppercorns, salt, bay leaf in a dutch oven. Adjust to taste.
- Add chicken, including livers and gizzards.
- Cook over low heat for 45 min. Do not uncover or mix during this time. Uncover, cook for 10min more.
- Remove chicken and liver and set aside.
- Chop 1 liver and return to sauce. Reduce sauce til thickened.
- Add eggs with shell to sauce to cook while sauce is reducing. Remove after 7min, peel and set aside.
- When sauce is reduced, return chicken and eggs. Serve or keep for the next day.
- Fry or bake the chicken if you want the skin crisp. (Remove from sauce for frying and baking.)